This is my complicated story of listening to music 😁
Didn’t plan to write my first 2021 post on music but still.. It’s the only thing I enjoy!
Let me begin from scratch. What rhymes did you loved listening when you were a kid!? Maybe baby shark? Mine were baba black sheep and twinkle twinkle little star ✨
(admit it, we all still sing these songs whenever we play it in YouTube for our cousin babies or relative kids cause I still do)
I’m the type of person who enjoys different cultures and languages. I was born in Tamil Nadu, India thus I obsolutely heard tamil songs right from my childhood. When I grew older, I started enjoying music from other languages too. The first language that I choose was hindi. That’s because I loved learning it as my 3rd language in school. Unknowingly all the songs I heard and the voice I admired was Arjith Singh. Then I became a fan of so many artists including Shreya Ghoshal, Darshan Ravel, Dhvani Bhanushali.
(*I’m just going set limit min 5 and max 20 songs under each category otherwise the list will be too long)
- Bol do na zara – armaan malik
- Sun raha hai- Shreya ghoshal
- lagdi lahore di – Guru randhawa
- Ishq de fanniyar- Jyotica tangri
- Duniya- Akhil, Dhvani
- Ek ladki ko dekha toh aisa laga- Dharshan ravel
- Kala chashma – Amar arshi, Badshah
- Dheeme dheeme- Tony kakkar
- First class- Arjith singh
- Let’s nacho- Nucleya, benny dayal
- Sab tera- Armaan malik
- Udi udi jaye- Sukhwinder singh, Bhoomi
- Kaun Tujhe – Palak muchhal (*my favorite one from M.S.Dhoni movie)
Rarely I listen to some Malayalam, telungu and Urdu which comes under Indian languages.
- Kya baat ay – Harrdy sandhu
- Jiminki Kammal – Vineeth shreenivasan (*first ever malayalam song to set new record in youtube)
- Scene contra- Shabareesh varma
- Freak penne- Sathyajith
- inkem inkem inkem kaavaale – Sid sriram
- Maate vinadhuga- Sid sriram
Then I dived more into English! I adore Selena Gomez voice a lot!! (*calling out all the selenators). I found English songs more fun and exiting to sing along. Some of the other famous artist or band that I like are Jonas brothers, Shawn Mendes and Alec benjamin.
- Sucker – Jonas Brothers
- Dance again – Selena Gomez
- Intentions- Justin Bieber, Quavo
- Don’t let me down- The Chainsmokers, Daya
- Wonder – Shawn Mendes
- We don’t talk anymore- Charlie puth, Selena Gomez
- 7 rings- Ariana Grande
- Blank space- Taylor Swift
- My oh My – Camila Cabello, DoBaby
- On My way- Alan Walker, Sabrina
- Pretty girl- Maggie Lindermann
- If the world was ending- JP Saxe, Julia
- Lovely- Billie Eilish, Khalid
- Maroon 5 – Girls Like You ft. Cardi B
- Blinding lights- The weeknd
- Let me down slowly- Alec Benjamin
- Welcome to wonderland- Anson Seabra
- Lily- Alan Walker
- The best of both worlds- Hannah Montana
I can’t forget to tell you about my obsession with each and every Disney songs!!! Let it go song from frozen will still as my favorite song no matter how much old I grew up. Not to forget mentioning about barbie songs too. I literally know each and every lyrics of my favorite songs. If there is a competition anything related to barbie movies or songs, probably I will win the first prize. 😎
- Raise our voices– Barbie Rock’n Royal
- You can tell She’s A Princess – Barbie Princess Charm School
- Here I am / look how we can fly– barbie princess and the popstar
- How far I’ll go– Moana
- If only – descendants 1
- Hakunama Tata – The lion king
- A whole new world– Aladdin
- Into the unknown– Frozen 2
- A dream is a wish your hear makes-Cinderella
I even tried listening Arabic since I also did my schooling in UAE countries. I don’t understand they language but hey.. music itself is a language! I listened to only few selected ones:-
1. LM3ALLEM – Saad Lamjarred (our class boys sang this together on stage so it was a special song for our batch. Can’t deny the fact that this song was so striking to listen)
2. Mal hbibi malou – Saad Lamjarred (* so energetic and good)
3. Zahgana – Hala al turk ( I’m 101% sure you won’t be disappointed with her voice)
4. I love you mama – Hala al turk
Have anyone listened to that spanish song which become the biggest song of 2017 and most popular song of all time?? I didn’t leave that too 😛 Yes, it’s Despacito by Luis Fonsi which was also remixed by Justin Bieber!! The only French song that I know is Bella Ciao from Money Heist series even though I’ve not watched a single episode.
I stopped listening to songs at some point. None of them seemed real or something that I could relate. The lyrics in most of the songs didn’t make any sense. It was either over exaggerating or nonsense. I carved something new and unique. Putting aside my craziness for music, I started focusing more on my studies to get good grades in board exams. After college I only listened to English and very few selected tamil and hindi songs.
It was at the end of 2019 when I started listening to kpop. It was the best decision I’ve ever made. The reasons were quite simple – colorful music videos, way of story telling in the song, insane choreography caught my eyes so easily. And at last…eventually… finally…I settled with english and kpop. It seems like I’ve been running my whole life to find this perfect type of music or song that satisfy me. I was finally delighted while listening to English and kpop. It reminisced me of my childhood days listening to rhymes where it all started in the first place. Finally I felt the same amount of happiness and pleasure listening to it. It doesn’t mean I hated all other languages songs, I still listen to them, I still love them but this…… I feel them ❤️. Music truly transcends language and no one can change my mind now. My K-pop list can be pretty endless ranging from all songs of BTS to Blackpink, Itzy, SuperM, MonstaX, Twice, WayV. My favorite singers from Kpop are Taehyung, Jungkook and Jimin (The makane line of BTS).
- Mic drop- BTS
- Lovesick Girls- Blackpink
- Make a wish- NCTU (hearing it on repeat!!)
- Wannabe- Itzy
- Who do you love- MonstaX
- What is love- Twice
- Dynamite- BTS
- Criminal/ Want – Taemin
I also prefer cover songs of English songs by some idols over the original ones. I personally think korean idols voice becomes more sweet and calm when they speak in english.
- I like me better- Jaehyun
- 10 thousand hours- Jungkook
- Easier- ACE
- Someone like you – Taehyung
- Nothing like us- Jungkook
My friends and relatives still mock me by saying I’m just bragging or showing off. Especially in India, people laugh at those who listen other language songs. I never fit in with them when they have a group discussion about songs but who cares… In the end I wholehearly enjoy what I’m doing so who really cares!?
You can follow me on spotify here. I might forget to update status or publish blog post, but I never fail to add amazing new songs on my playlist!!
Did I forget anything!!? Oh yes, wait I totally forgot to mention my favorite song from my mother tounge language i.e, tamil. Even if you don’t understand, I highly recommend to give it a try. It’s just so beautiful.
- Vinmeen– Abhay jodhpurkar, Saindhavi
- Sokkana ponnu-Aadhi
- Azhagiye– A.R.Rahman, Arjun
- Yaaro en nenjai– Devi Sri Prasad
- Poovukkul – Unnikrishnan
- Pachchai Vanna– Yuvan Shankar Raja
- Aanaalum indha mayakkam– D.Imman
- Kannaane kanne– Anirudh
So this is my weird complicated love for music. But that’s not the case of my playlist. I keep it so organized. 😂❤️ Do tell me your favorite songs in the comments whatever language it might be, I don’t hesitate listening to it until it’s good 🙂 You can also check out my collaboration with Poorwa on ‘Music in our heart’ here.